You asked for more Friday Fives! Today's topic was suggested by none other than Mr. Wordsmith himself.
1. Where The Party At x Jagged Edge ft. Nelly- If you didn't hear the intro play in your head after reading the title then...well I honestly don't know what to do with you. Jagged Edge is good for a jam that makes you want to Harlem Shake or fall in love, take your pick. Throw in a little St. Louis Nelly and you have a super smash. I was 8 years old when this song came out in 2001. I'm not sure how 8 year old me felt about the song but I know how I feel about it now!
2. I'm Real (Murder Remix) x Jennifer Lopez ft. Ja Rule- Y'all remember when J. Lo was Jenny from the block and wore cute sweatsuits? Me too. Another hit from the early 2000s that I sang at the top of my lungs without knowing all the words or what they meant. Ja Rule was one of the toughest guys around. Hearing him harmonize with J. Lo in his best thug tune was ICONIC.
3. Love of My Life (An Ode to Hip-Hop) x Erykah Badu ft. Common-This doesn't need an explanation to be honest.
4. Lovely Day x Luther Vandross ft. Busta Rhymes- This song brings back a particular memory. Luther was the go to CD for our 10 hour road trip to visit my grandparents in Pittsburgh, PA every year. I remember this album like the back of my hand. Every time this song came on I would inevitably wake up grooving to the bass line and Busta's slick rhymes. It's still one of my favorite songs to this day.
5. Shawty is the Sh*t x The Dream ft. Fabolous- Again if you're not humming the tune to this song by now, I'm a little concerned. I feel like The Dream is really underappreciated. He had/has tons of gems. Let's not forget about Fab's ability to hop on an R&B song and ride the beat oh so smoothly.
These are just 5 of my favorite R&B songs with rap verses. Let me know what you're favorites are via Twitter, FB, or in the comment section right under the post! Listen here: Friday Five Playlist.
If you haven't filled out the reader survey yet, please do! Thank you to those of you who have! Please let me know if you've already sent in survey answers so I can record your giveaway entry!